Senior NPI Engineer
Our client, based in Cambridge is seeking a Senior NPI Engineer with at least 3 years experience in product creation projects to work directly with their Development team and Project Management in the creation of new products.
This primary role of the Senior NPI Engineer is to work directly with the Development team and Project Management in the creation of new group wide products and to ensure that all new products are developed and introduced throughout the supply chain and manufacturing facilities effectively, efficiently and in accordance with the NPI procedures.
You will lead the activities required for Operations and Development teams to bring about continuous improvement in all areas of operations during the new product introduction phases and into launch. You will be accountable for the quality and effectiveness of new product and business process performance within Operations. You will provide coaching and guidance to the engineers in the department to ensure the team develops to minimise NPI cycle times throughout deployment of best practice.
* Creation of the manufacturing strategy, with input from stakeholders, and project management of the deliverables ensuring timely completion in line with gateway reviews.
* Design, agree with stakeholders and optimise the manufacturing cost and build targets are achieved. Operational performance KPIs will determine the success of the new product introduction.
* Promote Design for Manufacture and Assembly in new product design, using a structured technique to measure improvement versus current and competitor products.
* Manage capital tooling projects from concept and financial justification through to component approval.
* Lead and participate in Design and Process FMEAs ensuring that risks are mitigated.
* Approval of engineering drawings, Bills of Materials and component specifications utilising technology expertise as required.
* Manage the generation of new assembly and test instructions.
* Manage pre-production builds; verifying all business processes are tested and take ownership for the capturing and resolutions of issues.
* Undertake new technology assessments and development for future use.
* Provide support where required for product or prototype testing
* Run and partake in cross functional design reviews
* Produce and maintain project development records (planning, cost)
* Liaise with other functions to ensure cohesive integration of all technologies and where gaps may exist in the current supply chain; develop supplier selection criteria in line with sourcing strategies.
* Liaise with manufacturing, sub-contractors and suppliers for the procurement and specification of components for use in the development projects
* Achieve cost, quality and reliability of externally sourced components and sub assemblies helping to ensure that products are brought to market which, as a minimum, satisfy customer expectations.
* You may be expected to manage the interactions between suppliers and internal R&D teams throughout the design cycle. Where required, you will visit key suppliers to review progress against key project milestones, initiate improvement programs and assist in the development of processes to improve component quality, ensuring long term reliability levels can be achieved.
* Preparation of detailed components/assembly quality and reliability reports within a PPAP type environment. This will include working with suppliers to ensure appropriate data submissions are received with parts; identifying subsequent verification requirements and completion of statistical analysis.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
* Degree Qualified Engineer (preferable) or HND/equivalent and qualified by at least 3 years experience with Chartered Engineer status.
* Senior Engineering role within Product Creation Projects Lifecycle (3 years+), working in project teams from concept to delivery.
* You will be able to demonstrate your understanding and use of appropriate tools, including statistical analysis, Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing methods.
* Demonstrate an understanding of the business processes and performance drivers within an Operations business, with recognition of the wider impact of the role.
* Extensive experience in an electro-mechanical manufacturing or design related environment.
* Experience of taking product to manufacture in low/medium volume
* Working in a flexible team environment
* You should be familiar with the inspection of component parts and analysis of inspection data using statistical analysis packages.
* Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
* Influencing and negotiation skills at all levels, exercising a high degree of tact and diplomacy as required.
* Project Management tools and techniques
* Basic reliability principles and design for manufacturing methods.
* Self starter
* Energetic and enthusiastic
* Team player
* Demonstrate drive and energy in achieving all project goals
* High quality of output
* Ability to multi-task
* Commercial/business acumen
[ Bar Hill, Cambridgeshire, Salary range: £40,000 to 50,000 | vacancy reference : 25183 ]
For more information or to apply for this job, please complete the details below.