Mechanical Design Engineer
Our client, based in Cambridge is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer with at least 5 years' experience in precision electro-mechanical, high reliability and industrial environments. Candidates must also have a degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical Engineering plus a good grounding in applied mathematics, physics or chemistry.
Purpose of Role:
The main function of the Mechanical Design Engineer is to work as part of the development team with specific responsibility for mechanical and functional design. Designs must meet stringent requirements for manufacturability and in field performance. The role covers the entire lifecycle of the product from initial concept through design, validation, field trials, release into production and maintenance.
* Understand the requirements, design mechanical elements and validate against the requirements
* Complete design pack for all changes (including 3D models, drawings, assembly instructions, reviews, FMEA etc)
* Ensure that design for supply, manufacturing, assembly and test is considered.
* Ensure that the designs are validated before manufacture
* Work with production engineering to develop processes to build the product
* Understanding how customers use products and the issues they face.
* Understanding design for manufacture.
* Understanding cross-functional interaction between mechanical parts, electronics, fluids etc.
* Producing verifiable data to support design assumptions.
* Working with a wide variety of stakeholders
* Deadlines need to be agreed and held
* Ability to understand customer and technical requirements and work out the impact on the whole design (not just the mechanical elements)
* Ability to think outside your own discipline
* Strong analytical skills
* Motivated by why and how things work
* Demonstrated use of initiative
* Structured thinking with use of data to prove assumptions
Qualifications and experience
* A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
* A good grounding in applied mathematics, physics or chemistry
* 5 years experience on products of similar complexity e.g. precision electro-mechanical, high reliability and industrial environments
* Proven understanding of fundamental manufacturing principles
* 3D CAD modelling essential - Solidworks would be an advantage
* Tolerance stack-up analysis.
* Solid understanding of capability studies for designs, jigs and fixtures
* Proven understanding of mechanical engineering issues associated with high precision/tight tolerance designs
* Proven experience of plastic mould design including injection, flow, warpage and shrinkage.
* Proven experience of using finite element methods for stress and thermal characterisation.
* Appreciation of high volume manufacturing (100,000 units per year)
* Experience of using PDM systems for engineering change control
[ Cambridge, Salary £neg. | vacancy reference : 24024 ]
For more information or to apply for this job, please complete the details below.